Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Job

I mean, at this point it's not that new.  It will be a year on January 13.  In that time, I've gotten pretty settled here at the David A. Howe Public Library.  There are things I miss about Houghton.  I miss Chris and Sharleen.  I miss having student workers.  I miss the semester schedule.  But I don't fit into an academic library setting, particularly that one.  I started in public libraries and it's good to be back.  This is really the setting I belong in.  I'm free to try to new things, get creative.  If things work, great.  If they don't work, then it's back to the drawing board.  No big deal.  
At this point, I've overused this line, but people go to academic libraries because they have to and public libraries because they want to.  It makes a big difference.  I'm enjoying leading the book clubs.  It's been fun booking authors.  (So far Archer Mayor, Julia Spencer-Fleming and Joyce Carol Oates!  #stephenking2016)  It has it's drawbacks, but they are far outweighed by the good.  We are getting ready to hire some new staff members, which I'm hoping will be good.
The building itself is great, despite it's lack of office and staff space.  There is a 300 seat auditorium attached where Valley Theatre performed Steel Magnolias and one stop on our three-city tour of The Odd CoupleHaving a genuine theatre space available is great, and is an excellent job perk.  
All in all it's a pretty good deal.

No comments: