Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Final Entries for Halloween Team 2017

Kendra's pick was Get Out.  This wins for being the most intense movie we watched.  Without giving too much away, a guy goes to meet his girlfriend's family and things get bonkers.  I hadn't really seen trailers and new almost nothing about this, which definitely played in my favor.  I had no idea what to expect.  Every curve ball that came my way was a shock. There was some over the top violence, but overall I found it more enthralling than scary.  It was a great pick though.  We were all on the edge of our seats. I rate this 4 Tea Cups!

Hilary brought things to a close with Crimson Peak.  This was one we'd wanted to see when it was in theaters but it looked to scary so we never did.  She was having trouble finding something right and Crimson Peak just clicked.  None of us had seen it, so that was cool.  We all really liked it.  This had some jump scenes and some pretty upsetting violence, but was more mysterious than scary.  It definitely worked for Halloween.  Ghosts, spooky houses, menacing elements.  It was just right. Coincidentally, I also give this 4 Tea Cups!

Final thoughts, I think I had the most fun watching FirestarterGet Out was the most intense.  Crimson Peak was the best.  Beetlejuice was long overdue and did not disappoint.  Eight-Legged Freaks was the only stinker of the bunch, and that's just personal taste.  (Sorry Pickles.)

Now for some bonuses.
Eric, Kendra, Hilary and I watched the Rob Lowe 'Salem's Lot miniseries.  We had low expectations but were pleasantly surprised.  The actors were all in and it stayed pretty true to the book.  Like the novel it suffers from too many characters, but they were easier to keep track of on screen.  3 Stakes.

Hilary, Sally, Westy and I watched Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie.  This was spookier than we realized and Westy was white knuckling the arm rests the whole time.  There's a Heffalump frame story and some classic Pooh shorts are highlighted.  Pretty good over all.  3 Hunny Pots.

Hilary, Borch, Ishtar and I settled in with beef stew for Ghost Story based on the novel by Peter Straub.  The movie was pretty good, and definitely scary at places.  We were really in to the plot and were all confused by the out of place nudity.  I guess they figured they had and R, so they might as well.  The ending was chilling and satisfying.  4 overflowing sinks!

No comments: