Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Book Review: The Last Age of Magic

Justice League Dark V.1: The Last Age of Magic
****

I've always wanted to get into the DC magic stuff, so I jumped at the chance to snatch this from NetGalley.
DC's magic titles have always intrigued me but I've never been able to get in to them. It has been hard to find good hop on points, even in the New 52 era.  I'm happy to report that I found Last Days of Magic, to be a great starting point.  The characters referenced events from stories I hadn't read, but it was intriguing instead of off-putting.  Overall I found this to be a very successful start.
The story deals with a slew of magic based characters coming together to basically save magic itself.  That's a good hook.  I rarely think of Wonder Woman as a magical character, a point she makes quite well in the story, but it totally makes sense.  And really, hats off to anyone who can make a successful go of Detective Chimp.  I have a soft spot for that character and was pleasantly surprised to see him not only be taken seriously, but given something serious to do. I'm all in for the follow-up volume and am now going to seek out the events referenced in the story that I haven't yet read.  Well done my friends.

No comments: