Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Book Review: Superman: The Unity Saga: Phantom Earth

Superman Vol.1: The Unity Saga - Phantom Earth
***
Thanks to my pals at NetGalley for the review copy.

I go off on little tangents where I prefer certain characters for a while.  I might devour a Flash run (hello Rebirth) or sit in a circle of trades reading a Green Lantern run in chronological order (looking at you Blackest Night), but Superman transcends these whims. I'm always in the mood for Superman.
I have to admit that it is exciting to see the OG Superman back in the trunks going on an adventure.  It took me a while to get into the Rebirth era, but by the Truth run I was all in. Now that we are beyond that, I have been looking forward to this Bendis run and was eager to get started.  I was hoping to love it, but only clocked in at liking it.
I have to say upfront, my problems with this book come down to personal preference.  I have never been a fan of Zod or "Krypton is back!" plotlines. It's just not the way I prefer my Superman.  I like simple stories that allow Superman's goodness to shine through. (See Grounded)
But let's put that aside and focus on the story at hand. In a nutshell Superman finds out what really happened to Krypton and when Supergirl attempts to capture the villain using the Phantom Zone projector a little more than she intended gets sucked into it.  With Lois and Jon off with Jor-el, a lonely Superman has to tackle this issue with the aid of the Justice League.  There's some great stuff in here between Superman and the Martian Manhunter.  Everything with Flash cracked me up. We end on an intriguing note which was a pretty successful cliffhanger.
The dialogue is quippy without being cute and the book looks great. The story feels a little 90s throwback, but I assume that's intentional.  While I would have preferred a different kind of Superman story, there's a lot a good here and I'm ready for more.

To hear more about some of my old-school favorite Superman stories tune in to this special episode of the All the Books Show.

No comments: