Monday, April 25, 2011

Pessemist

We just had a week off of work because of the Easter holiday. I think it’s their way of saying “Hey, sorry for the pay cut!”, but vacation is less fun when you have zero cash. We ended up spending a lot of time at home, but even so it was a great break. We did some work on our upstairs remodel project, and we also tackled some landscaping. Mostly we just sat around together watching TV. It was nice. We needed some time to recharge.
In the past when we’ve had a break, or even a long weekend, I end up ruining a bunch of free time by thinking about how the break is almost over. It’s destructive. I’m pretty pessimistic by nature. This time, however, I made a conscious effort not to think about it like a clock counting down my last hours of freedom. Instead I tried to just take every day and enjoy it. One of my biggest faults is that I devote too much time to dreading things that haven’t even happened yet. Because of this, I end up squandering a lot of the free time I have. In this way, I am my own worst enemy. So anyway, I tried to alter my thought process regarding this break and it actually worked! By the time Sunday night rolled around I was a peace about going back to work. I wasn’t filled with dread, I didn’t ruin Sunday night by moping, and when Monday morning hit I was ready for work.
So to all of you pessimists out there, here’s proof that there is hope. I’m not saying you can change your whole way of thinking, but my little experiment worked out for me. Baby steps, I guess.

No comments: