Wednesday, April 13, 2011

TV Review: Lights Out

When it comes to TV there isn’t much I hate more than getting super invested into a series only to have it be abruptly cancelled. I first felt the sting of this unsettling trend one Saturday morning in 1986. I came inside at 10am because it was time for the Super Friends only instead of Super Friends it was something else entirely. Over the next 25 years I experienced this again and again. Even so, I’m always surprised and upset when it happens.
My most recent run-in with this phenomenon was with the FX series, Lights Out. This great boxing/family drama starred Holt Mcallany as a former heavyweight champion Patrick “Lights” Leary who was struggling with the notion of coming out of a five year retirement for a rematch and a chance to take back the title. Obviously, the setting of the show was the world of professional boxing, but Lights Out went much deeper than that. The real focus of the show was the Leary family and Lights’ struggle to find meaning in his post boxing life. Despite the premise there wasn’t a whole lot of boxing in the series. However, when the boxing was showcased it was well done and exciting.
I was initially uninterested in watching the show, but changed my mind and gave it shot after hearing all of the high praise from the critics. It quickly became my favorite, and for my money the most intriguing show on television. In all the series lasted 13 episodes, long enough to see Patrick train and ultimately have his rematch with his arch rival Death-row Reynolds. Despite the quick cancellation (due to low ratings, according to Tvline.com) the ending was for the most part satisfying. However in the final two episodes some new characters were introduced and some interesting developments were simmering in the background. You could see hints of where they would have gone in season 2 and I am very disappointed not to be able to see those come to light.
In its short time on the air Lights Out boasted excellent acting by its talented cast, most notably Mcallany and Stacy Keach (as Leary patriarch Robert), had writing that was always top notch and original and delivered an intense and compelling story. My advice is to watch the show any way you can… buy or Netflix the DVD, track it down on Hulu, whatever works best for you. You won’t be sorry. I already miss this great show.

No comments: