Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Benefits of Theatre

Picture This blog post originally appeared on the HMAC website:

I recently wrapped production on my most recent directorial job, Valley Theatre's Wise Women (which co-starred Miss Sarah!).  This production was really rewarding for me because the cast was made up of all people I have directed before.  Having them together like this made think back to the first time I worked with each of them.  All had a certain amount of natural talent at the beginning, but I've been able to watch it refine over the years.  They seem to grow more natural on stage with each production.  As they become more comfortable their confidence builds, and that is something that is valuable off stage as well.
In my semesters teaching acting at HMAC, I've really enjoyed that chance to work with younger actors.  It gives me a chance to lay a strong foundation of the fundamentals of acting.  I'm able to focus on the little subtleties that I don't often have time to deal with in a typical rehearsal environment. Having a handle on these basic principles (posture, projection, expression, gestures, etc.) will help them to stand out that when they go out to auditions for plays, but it is also applicable outside of theater.  They are things that will be helpful when you are talking in front of groups, in regular social settings or even with jobs down the line.  My theater background has hugely beneficial to me in my day-to-day life, and I really think it can be a great tool, particularly for building confidence.  Wise Women was a lot of fun, but I'm really looking forward to getting back into the HMAC classroom with a fresh crop of students. 

No comments: